Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Oh Summer... How I Long for Thee...

As I sit here writing this, Old Man Winter is bearing down on Rhode Island and the Northeast with yet another winter “event”. I call it that because it’s not truly a snowstorm and it’s heavier than a flurry, but according to the weather report, it’s a fast mover that should only drop 2-4 inches when it’s done later tonight. As any true Rhode Islander knows, this is never the case… and we don’t really have any idea what’s going to happen until it does. I applaud our local weather reporters for at least letting us know something is coming our way. If anything, they help the local economies by boosting the sale of milk and bread with every approaching storm.


But with each winter that finds us cursing and wishing we lived anywhere but here, the thought of spring is in the back of our minds. In fact, Rhode Islanders typically start to curse winter just after the first frost, which makes for a long season of wishing. After we’ve dealt with what seems to be an increasing number of snow days (thanks, Global Warming) we reach the ever popular mid-date of winter. That’s right, Groundhog Day. Now I know it’s not numerically the mid-date of winter, but it’s the measuring stick that tells us what to look forward to, or what to dread - depending on your views. Of course Punxsutawney Phil saw his damned shadow and ran right back to bed. Personally I feel it had something to do with the skiing lobby in Washington, D.C. They’re a formidable bunch.

Being a Realtor, the majority of my time is spent in the car driving from home to home. So of course my work is affected by bad weather. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve driven in many snowstorms to show properties… but that doesn’t mean it’s fun. Besides, any self-respecting Rhode Islander knows how to handle themselves in a little snow. Generally speaking, I love the snow, but it’s the many consecutive weeks of extreme cold that makes me want to pack up the family and run to the Florida Keys to hang with Jimmy Buffet. The only way that I can rationalize the winter in RI is by thinking of what’s just around the corner-- spring.

Spring is a time of renewal and rebirth for the world around us. It’s also a time for all of us to get outside and scrape off the rust. With the final frost now six weeks away (thanks, Phil) I’m looking forward to planning the first hike of the season with Melissa. With any luck, that will happen sooner than later.


Bob Black
REALTOR
Williams & Stuart Real Estate
870 Oaklawn Ave
Cranston, RI, 02920
Work: 401.942.0200 ext 28
Mobile: 401.261.1599
Bob@BobBlackOnline.com
Your Friend in Rhode Island Real Estate
Visit MyBlogLog and get a signature like this!

No comments: